Postdoctoral Research Positions at Perimeter Institute
Available Postdoctoral Positions
“I like the fact that here I interact with people from different backgrounds and develop my own research further by enriching it with different expertise from so many people. I like it very much.”
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics is home to one of the largest concentrations of postdoctoral researchers in theoretical physics globally. This community of early-career scientists are fully immersed in Perimeter’s dynamic, multi-disciplinary environment with maximum research freedom and opportunity to collaborate within and across fields.
Our areas of research include:
- Mathematical physics
- Particle physics
- Quantum fields and strings
- Quantum foundations
- Quantum information
- Quantum gravity
- Quantum matter
- Strong gravity
Each year we invite applications for postdoctoral positions, including named fellowships, from new and recent PhDs working in fundamental theoretical physics. We welcome applications from highly creative and intellectually adventurous theorists
“PI is really the place where you want to try new things. You have the resources available to work on what you’re interested in, what you want to push for, what you want to explore,”
What Makes Perimeter Different for Postdoc Researchers?
- Unequalled research freedom that enables physicists to focus on solving the problems they are most passionate about
- Architecturally innovative building designed with extensive input from scientists to optimise research, training, and scientific outreach
- Institute support in creating special research initiatives aimed at further developing new ideas
- A lively and diverse series of seminars, workshops, and conferences bringing together the best minds in a variety of fields
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Extended health care benefits which include medical, dental, vision, psychological and paramedical (i.e. physiotherapy, massage, chiropractor),travel insurance and more. Eligible dependents also receive benefit coverage
- Disability and life insurance coverage
Career Trajectories & Research Support
- Flexible research fund to support travel and research collaboration
- Support to invite visitors
- Opportunity to organise workshops and conferences with full logistical support
- Customised resources and support for all avenues of physics through events, information sessions, personal career support, workshops, etc.
- This includes pure academic career paths, industry-based career paths, and hybrid or non-traditional academic roles
Relocation and Immigration Support
- Assistance with relocation
- Short-term temporary housing upon arrival
- Immigration support for temporary work authorization and Permanent Residency
Partner and Family Support
- Career support to help partners find Canadian employment
- Opportunity for partners to participate in organisational activities and programs to help build community
- Top ups for maternity and parental leave for all employees
- Priority registration to PI day care partnerships
- PI Child friendly play space and planned family activities each year
Health and Wellness Resources
- Employee and family support services from confidential third party (Homewood Health)
- Onsite counselling services or private practice coverage
- Onsite yoga and personal training
- 24-hour fitness centre
- Social and wellness events and activities
Careers Following Your Postdoc
Theo Johnson-Freyd is a former postdoc and recently appointed Associate Faculty member at Perimeter, cross-appointed with Dalhousie University. His research focuses on homotopical physics and the interplay between mathematical physics and higher algebra.
Brian Shuve, a former Perimeter postdoc, is now an Assistant Professor at Harvey Mudd College, an undergraduate-only institution specialising in science and engineering. His research focuses on the early universe, based on discoveries made at high-energy colliders such as SLAC and CERN.
Béatrice Bonga is an Assistant Professor at Radboud University in the Netherlands, and a former Perimeter postdoctoral researcher. Her research focuses on foundational questions in general relativity and predictions for future gravitational wave observatories.
Most postdoctoral positions are offered for a period of three years. Additionally you may be eligible to hold a named four year or senior five-year postdoctoral fellowship.
In addition, the institute provides support in identifying and applying for fellowships such as Emmy Noether, BMO Inclusive Excellence, and more.
Perimeter Institute’s Commitment:
Perimeter Institute brings together great minds in a shared endeavour to achieve breakthroughs in theoretical physics. Our culture thrives on collaboration and new perspectives.
We recognize that imbalances persist, both in theoretical physics in general and at Perimeter Institute specifically. We are taking concrete actions to increase inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in our community.
"We’re here to make breakthroughs in our understanding of the universe - and we can’t afford to leave any great thinkers, or any great ideas, behind."
Robert Myers, Director and BMO Financial Group Isaac Newton Chair