Perimeter Postdoctoral Program
“PI is really the place where you want to try new things. You have the resources available to work on what you’re interested in, what you want to push for, what you want to explore,”
Each year Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics invites applications for postdoctoral positions, including named fellowships, from new and recent PhDs working in fundamental theoretical physics.
Our areas of research include:
- Mathematical physics
- Particle physics
- Quantum fields and strings
- Quantum foundations
- Quantum information
- Quantum gravity
- Quantum matter
- Strong gravity
Importantly, research at Perimeter focuses on the intersections of those research areas. Most postdoctoral positions are offered for a period of three years. You may be eligible to hold a named four year postdoctoral fellowship. Senior five-year fellowships are also available. Fellowships may, in addition, be offered jointly between Perimeter and partner institutes and universities.
Perimeter Institute offers a dynamic, multi-disciplinary environment with maximum research freedom and opportunity to collaborate within and across fields. We welcome applications from highly creative and intellectually adventurous theorists. Perimeter offers:
- comprehensive support including a generous research and travel fund
- opportunities to invite visiting collaborators
- help and support for organizing workshops and conferences
- a mentoring system that provides you with feedback and support to flourish as an independent researcher
As a postdoctoral researcher at Perimeter Institute, you will be part of a thriving international research community which includes 26 Research Faculty, 22 Research Associate Faculty, 41 Distinguished Visiting Research Chairs, 61 Visiting Fellows, 50 Postdoctoral Researchers, 8 Teaching Faculty and academic staff, and 11 associate postdoctoral researchers. The Institute is host to 65 graduate students and 24 master’s-level students participating in Perimeter Scholars International, as well as undergraduate students, interns, and research associates. Perimeter also welcomes approximately 800 visiting researchers and conference participants from around the world each year. We are committed to building an inclusive community that promotes excellence.
The program deadline is November 6, 2023 for positions to start in September 2024.
Perimeter Institute is committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Perimeter Institute provides support throughout the application process for applicants with disabilities. We work with you to understand the impact of your disability to appropriately accommodate you during the application/interview process. Please contact [email protected] for assistance.
What Makes Perimeter Different for Postdoc Researchers?
- Unequalled research freedom that enables physicists to focus on solving the problems they are most passionate about
- Architecturally innovative building designed with extensive input from scientists to optimise research, training, and scientific outreach
- Institute support in creating special research initiatives aimed at further developing new ideas
- A lively and diverse series of seminars, workshops, and conferences bringing together the best minds in a variety of fields
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Extended health care benefits which include medical, dental, vision, psychological and paramedical (i.e. physiotherapy, massage, chiropractor),travel insurance and more. Eligible dependents also receive benefit coverage
- Disability and life insurance coverage
Career Trajectories & Research Support
- Flexible research fund to support travel and research collaboration
- Support to invite visitors
- Opportunity to organise workshops and conferences with full logistical support
- Customised resources and support for all avenues of physics through events, information sessions, personal career support, workshops, etc.
- This includes pure academic career paths, industry-based career paths, and hybrid or non-traditional academic roles
Relocation and Immigration Support
- Assistance with relocation
- Short-term temporary housing upon arrival
- Immigration support for temporary work authorization and Permanent Residency
Partner and Family Support
- Career support to help partners find Canadian employment
- Opportunity for partners to participate in organisational activities and programs to help build community
- Top ups for maternity and parental leave for all employees
- Priority registration to PI day care partnerships
- PI Child friendly play space and planned family activities each year
Health and Wellness Resources
- Employee and family support services from confidential third party (Homewood Health)
- Onsite counselling services or private practice coverage
- Onsite yoga and personal training
- 24-hour fitness centre
- Social and wellness events and activities