PSI START application information
- Application deadline: January 17, 2022 (applications may be considered after this deadline until all positions are filled)
- Reference forms deadline: January 24, 2022
- Selection timeline: Online school attendees and interns will be selected by the end of February 2022. Invitations to participate in the PSI START Bridge program will be made by the end of July 2022.
- Ten-week online school: Tuesdays and Thursdays from May 24 to July 28, 2022
- Research internship: Twelve weeks minimum, within the dates May 1 to August 19, 2022 (depending on each student’s availability)
- PSI START Bridge: September 2022 to April 2023
Who should apply?
We accept excellent students who intend to start a graduate program in theoretical physics in 2023. For questions about eligibility and special exceptions, please contact us at [email protected].
Documents to be submitted with the online application:
- If transcripts are in a language other than English, an English translation is required.
- Unofficial transcripts downloaded from the student’s institution are sufficient.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Two reference forms, where referees will be asked to evaluate the candidate’s abilities and motivation, academic background, group collaboration skills, and commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
- Statement of interest (limited to one page).
- A statement, no longer than 500 words, explaining your perspectives on the role of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in a research or academic environment. Speak from personal experience or more generally about the topic.
Within the application, students will be required to self-declare their level of English proficiency. Applicants may be contacted for an English proficiency interview.
Financial support for the PSI START Bridge
Research interns will be paid through a Research Award. Perimeter Institute will also cover economy travel expenses between each intern’s home institution and Toronto Pearson Airport. Ground transportation from Toronto Pearson Airport to Perimeter Institute will also be provided. Interns will be provided with lunch on weekdays (excluding holidays) at Perimeter Institute.
While there are no participation fees for the online school, Perimeter Institute recognizes that participation in an online program may be a financial burden to some students. Financial support, such as IT equipment, is available to participants based on their needs.
Perimeter Institute is committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Perimeter Institute provides support throughout the application process for applicants with disabilities. We work with you to understand the impact of your disability to appropriately accommodate you during the application process. Please contact [email protected] for assistance.
The PSI START program is supported by Michael Serbinis and Laura Adams.