Ready to get answers to all those physics questions that keep you up at night? Perimeter Institute’s GoPhysics! Workshops give keen high school students the opportunity to reach beyond high school physics and dive into modern physics topics.
GoPhysics! Gravity & Black Holes is an all-day student workshop (9:30am - 4:30pm) at Perimeter Institute. During the workshop, we’ll tackle some big questions: What is gravity? What can we learn from Newton’s and Einstein’s competing models? How do black holes, some of the most mysterious objects in our universe, fit into this discussion?
The workshop is free but places are limited. Students must apply to participate in the program no later than Friday October 14, 2022.
Saturday, March 18, 2023
9:30am – 3:30pm (students should arrive at 9:15 am for registration.)
Transportation and Parking
Students must find their own transportation to and from the program. There is a 15 minute drop-off zone at Perimeter Institute where parents may drop off students attending the program. There is limited onsite parking.
Students will be given a 1 hour lunch break. They may choose to bring their own lunch to eat on site or explore lunch options in Uptown Waterloo. A morning snack break will be provided.
Please note: The content is the same as the online GoPhysics! workshop. Students who have already completed the online version may wish to sign up for notification of future workshops.
- Completed or are currently enrolled in Grade 11 Physics.
- You’ll need at least a conceptual introduction to Newton’s force model for gravity. Be ready to explore topics like general relativity, curved spacetime, and black holes.
- Be keen to learn more and ask questions in a collaborative, group environment
- Complete the online registration form.
- This is your chance to connect with experts in the field and students who share your interests. Be ready to ask questions, think deeply, and make the most of this opportunity!
- GoPhysics! is a collaborative, not competitive, experience. There are no tests, exams, or formal presentations.
Successful applicants will be notified on or before Wednesday November 9, 2022 and will be required to complete and submit a parent permission form to confirm their attendance.
- If you are feeling symptoms of illness – regardless of whether it is a known case of COVID-19 or something else, please do not attend the workshop.
- In group settings, please be aware of differing comfort levels and if you are interacting with someone wearing a mask, out of respect please put on a mask.
- If you asked to put on a mask by a participant or a program facilitator, please do so
- Masks will be provided