Respectful Environment Code of Conduct
At Perimeter Institute, we strongly believe that our community and our science benefit when everyone feels safe to contribute and empowered to do so.
Together, as a community of students, researchers, staff, volunteers and visitors, we strive to provide a respectful environment in which all individuals feel safe and welcomed.
Each member is accountable for contributing to an environment that is free from:
Verbal, physical, or sexual harassment, violence, and/or discrimination
Intimidation and bullying
Microaggressions, which are comments or other interactions that show bias or reflect stereotypes
Perimeter expects all members of our community to:
- Think before we speak and act, considering how our words and actions might be received
- Consciously check our words and behaviours to ensure we do not exclude individuals or groups
- Contribute to the culture of inclusivity, equity, diversity and accessibility
- Refuse to participate in actions that offend, embarrass, or humiliate others
- Speak up when we see behaviour that makes people feel unsafe or unwelcome
- Ensure our words, actions, and policies do not discriminate based on any category protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code – this includes age, race, ancestry, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status, gender identity, gender expression, sex, or sexual orientation
- Understand and adhere to our Discrimination, Harassment, and Violence Policy and Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence Policy
Unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated and will be addressed accordingly.
If you experience, witness, or suspect discrimination, harassment, or violence while at Perimeter, an affiliated event, or interacting with a Perimeter resident, your options for reporting include:
- Our third-party confidential reporting line, Xpera Confidence Line
- Perimeter’s People and Culture department – Patti Butler ([email protected]) or Sheri Keffer ([email protected])
- Your mentor, manager, or host