GoPhysics! Online Workshops
Ready to get answers to all those physics questions that keep you up at night? Perimeter Institute's GoPhysics! workshops give keen high school students the opportunity to reach beyond high school physics and dive into modern physics.
Applications have closed for our Saturday, November 20 workshop. Successful applicants will be notified on November 11. To receive an email when the next workshop is offered, complete this short form.
If your question is not answered below, please contact [email protected]
On Saturday, November 20 we’ll tackle some big questions: What is gravity? What can we learn from Newton’s and Einstein’s competing models? How do black holes, some of the most mysterious objects in our universe, fit into this discussion?
The GoPhysics! Gravity & Black Holes workshop is free and includes independent preparation, live online sessions with physicists, and lots of time for questions.
Wednesday, November 17 (available at 10:00 am ET)
- Students receive login details for online learning platform
- 1 hour of independent preparation (to be completed any time before first online session)
Saturday, November 20
- 10:30am – 12:00 ET* Interactive Online Session 1: Gravity and General Relativity
- 12:00pm – 2:30pm ET* Break and Additional 1.5 hours of Independent Exploration
- 2:30pm – 4:00pm ET* Interactive Online Session 2: Black Holes
- 4:00pm – 4:30pm ET* Break
- 4:30pm – 5:00pm ET* Optional speed-mentoring with Perimeter Institute physicists
- For students who wish to go deeper in their understanding, additional content will be available for continued exploration
*All times are in the Eastern Time Zone (Eastern Daylight Time ends November 7). Compare your time zone to be sure you will be available!
- You must currently be studying at the high school level (including online and homeschool)
- You must be currently taking or have completed Grade 11 Physics before the workshop date. If you have not yet begun Grade 11 physics, sign up for notification of future workshops.
- You’ll need at least a conceptual introduction to Newton’s force model for gravity. Be ready to explore topics like general relativity, curved spacetime, and black holes.
- This workshop was offered on March 13, 2021. Students who completed the workshop at that time are not eligible to attend again.
- This is your chance to connect with experts in the field and students who share your interests. Be ready to ask questions, think deeply, and make the most of this opportunity!
- You’ll need a dedicated device (minimum laptop or tablet screen-size), webcam, microphone, and strong, reliable internet connection during online sessions.
- Webcams must be turned on throughout the online sessions. We’ll turn ours on, too!
- The complete time commitment for the entire course is 6 hours, including all preparation time and online time.
- GoPhysics! is a collaborative, not competitive, experience. There are no tests, exams, or formal presentations.
This is an application-based program with limited enrolment. Successful applicants will be notified on November 11, or up until 24 hours before the workshop begins if spaces remain.