Childcare at Perimeter
To facilitate parent-scientist participation at Perimeter, we offer financial support of up to $50 CAD/dependent per day, up to a maximum of $350 CAD/week per child. Funds may be used towards reimbursement of childcare expenses of natural, foster or adoptive children from the age of birth until the end of the month they turn 12 years of age. Visitors must be on-site for a minimum of 1 week, up to a maximum of 4 weeks to be eligible. If you are in need of childcare beyond 4 weeks, please contact [email protected] to inquire into longer-term options.
Interested participants must fill out and submit this application for approval a minimum of 4 weeks prior to your arrival at Perimeter Institute. Perimeter Institute is not responsible for securing childcare arrangements. Childcare must be secured before travelling to PI.
Perimeter Institute is not licensed to support child care onsite. Paid childcare must occur off the premises.
If your child comes with you to Waterloo, allowable expenses include:
- Expenses related to a licensed childcare or home daycare facility.
- Expenses related to a Spring Break or Summer Camp registration.
- Expenses related to unlicensed childcare, such as a babysitter.
Proof of payment for childcare costs is required before reimbursements will be issued.
Costs Not Eligible for Reimbursement Include:
- Any travel-related costs for children.
- Extended hours beyond the standard package (i.e. before and after school care or early drop-off arrangements)
- Fees related to attendance of a private school.
- If your spouse travels with you, expenses related to childcare will not be reimbursed.
Please Note: If you’re unsure whether an expense can be covered, please send an email to [email protected] , outlining your situation and ask for clarification about what this program would cover for your specific case. You may also find a list of Frequently Asked Questions below.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many options for care for children under school age (0-5 years). Within Waterloo Region, parents/guardian can choose from in-home care (licensed home daycares, babysitters, nannies) and (licensed) daycare centres.
Important note: Many daycare centres (and some in-home licensed home cares) in the region have waitlists. It is recommended that you apply at least 6 months in advance.
I would like to learn:
- Information about Licensed Home and Daycare Centres
- Information about Daycare Centres in Waterloo Region
- Special Needs Access Point (SNAP): Single access point for children with special needs attending a licensed child care program in Waterloo Region.
I would like to register for:
- Home Daycares in Waterloo Region, including application
- Registered Daycare Centre and Licensed Home Care Registration
- Weewatch (additional home childcare options)
There are a number of camps offered by Waterloo Region at various times of the year, including the summer. Some options include:
- City of Kitchener - various ages, various locations available across Kitchener
- City of Waterloo - various ages, various locations available across Waterloo
There are many options for camps in Waterloo Region. You are welcome to register your child(ren) in a summer camp of your choice.
Childcare can cost anywhere from $50 - $90.00 per child per day.
We would suggest that visitors register their child(ren) for care a minimum of 6 months in advance of coming to Perimeter. Registering does not guarantee you a space - please confirm with your childcare provider that your child(ren) are enrolled in care.
School-related expenses and activities are not reimbursed at this time.
You will submit your expenses at the end of your visit using our Visitor Expense Form. Receipts, including your name and form of payment, are required.