Senior Writer/Editor and Reporting Lead
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics is a leading centre for scientific research, training, and outreach in theoretical physics, located in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Our mission is to advance our understanding of the universe, stimulating breakthroughs that will transform the future. We also train the next generation of physicists and share the excitement and wonder of science with students, teachers, and the general public.
As the Senior Writer/Editor and Reporting Lead, you will help Perimeter Institute tell our stories to various audiences, with a focus on reporting to government funders. You will contribute in the planning, researching, writing, and editing of major reports from conception and planning through to publication, printing, and translation, in collaboration with senior leadership and other departments. The Senior Writer also writes and edits news items and features for online publication, assembles data and provides fact-checking for other departments, and assists with other communications activities as assigned.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary author for reports tied to government funding agreements: This includes collaborating with senior leadership on key messages, project management, data collection, writing, editing, fact-checking, coordinating translation and design, and ensuring timely dissemination of reports
- Work closely with the Director of Publications, Grants, and Awards to prepare government funding applications and documentation for external audits and reviews
- Work collaboratively with other departments to obtain accurate data; review and update processes as required
- Reflect key messages accurately and consistently throughout all reports, documents, and stories
- Work with the Publications and Communications teams to pitch and share stories
- Conduct interviews, research, write, and edit news and features
- Edit and fact-check outward-facing communications
- Ensure the accuracy and consistency of data, key messages, and institutional style across a range of publications, including reports, digital media, and institutional websites
- Contribute to communications strategy and editorial decisions
- Build and publish pages for new website stories using WordPress and Drupal (you will be offered training if needed)
- Assist in maintenance of an institutional editorial style guide
- Participate on internal committees, such as Data Governance and working group(s) of the Inclusive Perimeter Platform, and assist with related initiatives/projects
Required Education, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Postsecondary education (BA/BSc or above) in English, Journalism, Communications, Science (e.g., Physics), or an equivalent combination of relevant experience
- Minimum of 5 years of comparable work experience
- Excellent research, writing, reporting, and editorial skills
- Great organizational skills and ability to manage complex projects accurately and to deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with an ability to communicate well with colleagues at all levels
- Ability to research and understand complex topics, including scientific topics
- Good understanding of how to tailor information for its intended media (web, social media, official report, etc.) and intended audience (government, donors, the general public, etc.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Understanding of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software (We use Salesforce!)
- Experience working within a research or academic environment or with a non-profit organization
- Fluency in French
- Familiarity with web publishing, particularly Drupal and WordPress
- Experience with videography, photography, and/or graphic design
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Design suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat
- Strong understanding of social media, particularly LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube
- Familiarity with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (you will be offered training if needed)
Please submit your cover letter and resume indicating experience and relevant qualifications before June 15, 2023, in order to ensure full consideration of your application. The posting will remain live until the position is filled. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in support of Perimeter Institute, but will only be connecting with select individuals.
Perimeter Institute is committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Perimeter Institute provides support throughout the application process for applicants with disabilities. We work with you to understand the impact of your disability to appropriately accommodate you during the application/interview process. Please contact [email protected] for assistance.