Manager, Infrastructure and Support Services
As the Manager, Infrastructure and Support Services you are responsible for the planning, operation, and management of the organization’s infrastructure and support services. This includes the research, procurement, and implementation of infrastructure, end-user devices, and services as well as the management of the organization's help desk and infrastructure teams.
Your responsibilities encompass the architecture, design, management, and security of Perimeter’s networking, compute, and storage technologies and services which span its on-premises, co-location, and IaaS/PaaS/SaaS environments. The Manager will be entrusted to establish management, security, and operating standards and polices for these services as well as research, test, and recommend new technologies, services, procedures, and policies that may improve Perimeter’s infrastructure, desktop and communication services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Project and People Leadership
- Provide leadership for the Perimeter’s Infrastructure Support and Services team
- Conduct performance appraisals and provide coaching and mentoring the PI’s Infrastructure Support and Services team
- Encourage professional development through the availability of appropriate training opportunities within the department
- Monitor emerging technologies, products, services, and other industry trends and collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders to develop a technological roadmap
- Consult with Perimeter management, residents, stakeholders, and vendors to address organizational technology requirements
- Review, prioritize, and assign project tasks, change requests, and help desk tickets
- Develop, document, and implement network infrastructure architecture, plans, projects, policies, procedures, and protocols and required
- Participate in long range, annual and project planning activities
- Liaise with and manage relevant vendors
- Communicate and co-ordinate plans and activities with stakeholders throughout the enterprise
- Procure, deploy, maintain, and monitor shared computing & storage systems including production, scientific and HPC servers and related equipment
- Procure, deploy, maintain, and monitor network and communications equipment and services
- Manage and monitor security services and perform periodic security audits
- Lead and/or participate in cybersecurity incident response procedures and remediation activities
- Support Perimeter’s cybersecurity program by designing, implementing, and monitoring security systems and processes
- Communicate technology and technical plans and practices to various committees and groups as required
- Plan, manage and operate appropriate system backups
- Coordinate and participate in on-call rotation
- Research, evaluate, select, and implement appropriate new technologies
- Co-ordinate technical staff and services for Perimeter events
Education, Knowledge, and Abilities Required
- Post secondary education in computer science or working equivalent
- 15+ years of experience in technology specific roles and 3-5+ years experience as a tech or team lead or in technology management roles
- Strong technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards, including solid understanding of principles of routing, client/server programming, and general network design
- Experience in developing, monitoring, and managing capital and operational infrastructure budgets
- Experience with procurement processes including RFI/RFQ/RFP processes, vendor management, and contract negotiations
- Strong technical knowledge of Windows and Linux desktop and server operating systems
- Knowledge of common IaaS platforms including Azure, AWS, GCP
- Extensive knowledge of operating system administration including configuration of mail systems, configuration of DHCP and DNS, system installation and configuration, printer systems, fundamentals of security, installing third-party software
- Proven experience in IT infrastructure planning and development
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of writing proposals and good documentation, training users in complex topics, communicating with vendors, and interacting positively with management
- Independent problem solving, and self-direction
- Ability to lead others and thrive in a team-based environment
- knowledge of cybersecurity technologies, controls, and processes
- Knowledge of High-Performance Computing (HPC) technologies and architectures would be considered an asset
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply by August 22, 2022 and are pleased to offer a dynamic team-oriented work environment and highly competitive total compensation package, including salary, benefits, and work life balance and culture.
Perimeter Institute is committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Perimeter Institute provides support throughout the application process for applicants with disabilities. We work with you to understand the impact of your disability to appropriately accommodate you during the application/interview process. Please contact [email protected] for assistance.
Covid-19 Safety Measures at Perimeter Institute
Please visit our website for information about our current Covid-19 Safety Measures and Policy.