Facilities Coordinator, Building Operations and Event Support
Perimeter Institute offers a dynamic work culture fueled by ideas and collaboration. The centre hosts a diverse research community, including some of today’s pre-eminent theoretical physicists, PhD and Masters-level trainees, and the world’s largest group of independent postdoctoral fellows in the field, all supported by a small group of hard-working administrative staff.
As the Facilities Coordinator, Building Operations and Event Support you are responsible for ensuring the space, facility and furniture needs are met in support of all inhouse operations and events at Perimeter Institute. The position supports the building's general operational needs such as cleaning, exterior maintenance, waste management, visitor housing, fitness equipment and activities to support and enhance the Research experience. Additionally, this role is critically positioned to ensure the Facility impact from special events are coordinated at the highest level possible. This role is essential to the operations of the institute and will require daily onsite presence.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Timely, effective communication and coordination of services with individual departmental stakeholders
- Set up and take down of event requirements as required. Coordinate outside services for event services
- Develop and monitor event calendar to ensure all facilities requirements for events are fulfilled in a timely manner
- Coordinate event equipment rentals, deliveries and set up
- Develop and coordinate cleaning program during events
- Moving heavy items for all staff requesting assistance
- Move furnishings when requested, alone or with other staff
- Provide various groups with miscellaneous furniture when needed (e.g., blackboards, easels, props for events, hang pictures, whiteboards, move file cabinets etc.)
Visitor Services & Housing
- Work with Visitor Services on scheduling of special apartment requests, cleanings, upgrades, visitor feedback, and quality control
- Budgeting and ordering of furniture, consumables, linens, and goods and chattels for the Visitor Housing Program including maintaining / monitoring inventory
- Oversee annual audits of all PI Visitor Housing including determining and executing any upgrades that are required as well as acting as liaison for contractors and coordinating with superintendents
- Monthly mail collection from all apartment buildings containing main floor mailboxes
- Maintain accurate and sufficient stock of keys/FOBs for visitors
- Monitor, respond and close help desk tickets, regarding general operations including: office furniture, visitor housing, events, cleaning, security
- Source, inventory and conduct office furniture repairs in timely manner
- Prepare Purchase Orders for approval and verify invoicing
- Coordination of Cleaners – Meet weekly with cleaning supervisor to update and inform of all upcoming special event cleaning requirements. Coordinate day porters to attend to any immediate cleaning needs. Assist in establishing scope, acquire pricing, provide purchase orders, and verify invoicing for special cleaning requirements not accounted for in the scope.
- Monitor and coordinate Exterior Maintenance programs (summer and winter), assist in establishing scope for contractors, procurement, and recommendations
- Monitor and coordinate the Waste Management program - assist in establishing scope for contractors, procurement, and recommendations
- Responsible for maintenance of wood burning fires; light fires, monitor inventory, clean fireplaces and ensure safety. Procurement of firewood and starter logs
- Monitor and coordinate Fitness Room equipment maintenance and repair. Provide recommendations to improve use of space. Solicit pricing and provide recommendations.
- Maintain exterior furniture, ensure seasonal set up and removal to storage as well as daily set up and takedown.
- Assist in establishing scope of work, solicit pricing, provide purchase orders, verify invoicing, maintaining scope including required repairs for cleaning, security, waste management, fitness equipment, exterior maintenance, fireplaces,)
- Assist with capital projects when called upon
- Participate in the rotational On Call Program with the other Facilities Team Members
- Participate in the Health & Safety Committee
- Perform minor building checks for daily operation
- Respond to all last-minute requests for assistance such as: temperature issues, minor repairs, moving, lifting, light bulb changes as directed
- Other duties as required
Desired Skills and Abilities Required
- Experience in building operations or construction (budgeting, coordinating, etc.)
- Experience in event coordination is an asset
- Basic Health and Safety knowledge
- Willingness to perform general maintenance tasks
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and under pressure
- Ability to multitask
- Clean driving record and valid driver's license
Please submit your resume indicating experience and relevant qualifications before May 29, 2023, in order to ensure full consideration of your application. If you have questions, please contact Talent Management Specialist Christina Bouda.
Perimeter Institute is committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Perimeter Institute provides support throughout the application process for applicants with disabilities. We work with you to understand the impact of your disability to appropriately accommodate you during the application/interview process. Please contact [email protected] for assistance.