Coordinator, Engagement and Inclusion
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics offers a dynamic work culture fueled by ideas and collaboration. The Institute hosts a diverse research community, including some of today’s pre-eminent theoretical physicists, PhD and Masters-level trainees, and the world’s largest group of independent postdoctoral fellows in the field, supported by a collaborative team of hard-working administrative staff.
As a member of the People and Culture team, you are a champion for all things engagement and inclusion at Perimeter. On a day to day basis, you contribute to making each resident’s experience a positive one, playing a critical role in supporting Perimeter’s wellness, employee events and equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) efforts. You will lead Perimeter’s Wellness Programs, which includes directly supporting our mental health efforts, as well as planning and execution of events for the Institute’s community. You will also support the Inclusive PI Platform, which is composed of many employee volunteer working groups (employee resource groups) focused on EDI-related topics.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
Engagement and Wellness Programs
- Partner with the People and Culture team and internal stakeholders to implement strategies for employee engagement and building connection to our shared values.
- Lead Perimeter’s wellness programming, which includes working with the Wellness Committee to develop and execute a wide range of activities and events focused on supporting overall wellness. This includes annual wellness challenges and social activities.
- Prepare and manage the Wellness Committee budget.
- Support our In-house Mental Health Program, which includes, coordinating with our in-house therapists to ensure their services run smoothly, sourcing resources for residents, and organizing special mental health initiatives.
People and Culture, Events Management
- Provide event and logistical coordination for all aspects of People and Culture related events including:
- Coordinating internal event logistics with multiple teams and roles across Perimeter (IT, Facilities, and Bistro)
- Managing internal scheduling, event promotion and communications
- Providing day of support and troubleshooting where needed
- Preparing event debrief reports and collecting data for the evaluation of event success and impact, making recommendations
- Coordinate Perimeter’s monthly Administrative Town Halls.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
- Support the execution of Perimeter’s multi-year EDI strategic plan, working alongside leadership, EDI consultants and community members to embed EDI into the Institute’s activities and programs.
- Provide administrative support and coordination for the EDI council and Inclusive PI Platform
- Perimeter’s Inclusion Council: composed of representatives from across the organization to provide feedback and recommendations for the implementation of the EDI Strategic Plan.
- Inclusive PI Platform, which is composed of many employee volunteer working groups (employee resource groups) focused on EDI-related topics.
- Monitor the budget for all Inclusive Platform-related activities and initiatives.
- Coordinate EDI-related education and training.
- Develop and maintain a repository of EDI related resources.
People and Culture Programs and Project Support
- Provide program and administrative support to the People and Culture team.
- Assist with project coordination as needed.
- Contribute to the development of People and Culture policies, processes, and programs.
- Provide backup support for the People and Culture team during vacations and peak worktimes.
Education, Knowledge and Abilities Required
- Postsecondary education in a related field such as human resources, occupational wellness, event or project management, social sciences or equivalent working experience is required.
- Strong relationship building skills with the ability to interface and communicate effectively at all levels across the organization.
- Demonstrated achievements in project management and event planning, including coordinating timelines, budgets and reporting.
- You are a team player who thrives on building consensus and collaboration. You are often invited to participate in groups and committees and can be relied upon to get the job done.
- Experiential knowledge of equity, diversity and inclusion practices is a strong asset.
- Exceptional time management and prioritization skills. You know or can quickly learn to accurately assess competing priorities and allocate your time efficiently to make the most of your time.
- Strong attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills.
- Understanding of research/academic institutions is an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by Monday November 27, 2023, in order to ensure full consideration of your application.
The posting will remain live until the position is filled. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in support of Perimeter Institute but will only be connecting with select individuals.
Perimeter Institute is committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Perimeter Institute provides support throughout the application process for applicants with disabilities. We work with you to understand the impact of your disability to appropriately accommodate you during the application/interview process. Please contact [email protected] for assistance.